Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Locks of Love

This was the ponytail of the man I used to be. Now it's not. I was asked to donate it by the stylist. Said yes, got the haircut for free. I hope some kid with no hair will enjoy the wig made from it, and it will help them be the person they want to be.

It doesn't bug me to lose it. I've been imagining my hair being shorter for months. I feel lighter, and it's easier to wash.

The Saturday after swearing in I went out to get my hair cut. Took the wife and kids. My mom was there. Wife held the baby and took pictures. I really needed the kids to see it getting cut, especially the baby.

Cutting my hair was the latest and most visible in a series of changes I've already made. Some of them started three years ago. They were more painful, but invisible. This was easy.

So now I'm visibly marked as being different than before. People I run into regularly comment on it. I tell them I've joined the Guard, and get a variety of reactions. Some positive, some skeptical. None negative thus far. But everyone wants to know why.

No comments: