Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Lesson of The Goat

Once upon a time, a villager went to see his local witchdoctor.

"Doctor, " he said. "I'm really stressed out. My hut is a mess, and my kids drive me crazy. My wife doesn't understand me. I..."

"Stop," the witchdoctor said. "Do you have a goat?"

"Of course I have a goat," the villager said. "Doesn't everyone have a goat?"

"Some people don't. Do you take good care of your goat?"

"Yes," the villager said. My oldest kid feeds her every day. "

"Where does your goat sleep," the witchdoctor asked.

"In her goat pen," the man answered.

"Your goat is the problem. She needs to sleep in your hut at night. Before the sun goes down, bring her in from the pen and give her a place in your hut." And with that, the witchdoctor looked down and went back to work skinning bats.

The villager left, and that night the goat went into the house.

A week later, the man went back to the witchdoctor.

"The goat is driving me crazy!" the man yelled. "What were you thinking? She kicks over the soup, she poops on the beds, her hoofs are cutting up the dirt floor. I haven't gotten a good night of sleep all week."

"Fine," said the witchdoctor. "Get the goat out of your hut. Come back and see me tomorrow."

The next day the man came in and said "Witchdoctor, thank you. I had the best sleep last night. The kids didn't fight, the soup was delicious, and my wife and I cleaned the hut together, and then we went to bed early. What a difference!"

"Your welcome," said the witchdoctor. "Pay my wife on the way out."

No comments: